iPadOS 17, Apple’s latest tablet operating system, is rolling out to everyone with a compatible iPad. It introduces a redesigned lock screen with widgets, a Health app, Stage Manager improvements, PDF improvements, and more.
Which iPad models support iPadOS 17?
iPadOS 17 discontinues support for multiple iPad models. The original iPad Pro 12.9 and 5th generation iPad (also known as iPad 2017) are no longer supported. iPadOS 17 can be installed on the following tablets:
- iPad Pro 12.9 (2nd generation or later)
- iPad pro 11
- iPad Pro 10.5
- iPad Air 3, Air 4, and Air 5
- iPad (6th generation or later)
- iPad mini 5 and mini 6
What’s new in iPadOS 17?
In addition to the changes in iOS 17, iPadOS 17 introduces the following iPad-specific features and improvements:
- Lock screen redesign. Customize multiple parts of your iPad’s lock screen, add widgets, use dynamic backgrounds, AI-based depth effects, Live Photos, and more. Additionally, Apple has improved notifications so they now appear at the bottom of the screen for better reachability.
- health. iPadOS 17 now includes a full-fledged healthcare app that was previously exclusive to iPhone. Optimized for large screens, it displays rich details about your health status and various metrics. The iPad version of the Health app supports all the new features available on iPhone, including Mental Health and Vision Health.
- PDF improvements. iPadOS 17 uses machine learning to identify text input fields so you can quickly add additional details such as name, address, and email. Please note that this feature is expected to arrive later this year and will not be available in the initial release. You can also annotate and sketch on his PDF documents in Notes app with other users.
- Freeform improvements. Freeform apps now have new drawing tools, including watercolor brushes, calligraphy pens, highlighters, variable width pens, and rulers.
- stage manager It is now more flexible and allows you to resize and reposition windows more freely. You can also use the external display’s camera for FaceTime and calls with other applications.
How do I install iPadOS 17?
- Start. setting App on iPad.
- invite General > Software Update Wait until your iPad finds iPadOS 17.
- Tap iPadOS 17 and follow the onscreen instructions. Note that you can continue to use iPadOS 16 on supported tablets. This is a great option for those who want to wait until Apple irons out the bugs and provides some maintenance updates to reduce bugs and provide a better experience.
Planning to update your iPad to iPadOS 17 today?
Report an issue with the article