To enable Custom Instructions, log into your premium ChatGPT account on your iOS device and follow these steps:
- On the app’s main page, click the three dots in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Press the New Features option.
- Enable the Custom Instructions setting.
- Go back to the main Settings page and tap the newly added Custom Instructions option under the Account category.
Now that you’re on the prompt page, type in your instructions for the AI, using a maximum of 1500 characters. There is also a Show Tips button below the text box that you can press for further instructions on how it works. When you’re happy with your instructions, hit Save in the top right.
Now when you type a question in the question box, the AI will respond according to the criteria you wrote. To return to normal use of ChatGPT, return to the menu described in step five and uncheck Custom Instructions.
Please note that this is a beta feature and by default, OpenAI can use your prompt to further optimize the program. If you want to turn this off, you can do so by turning off Chat History and Training in your app’s Settings menu. Even with it disabled, it’s probably best not to disclose sensitive information, at least until the FTC has completed its investigation into ChatGPT.