iOS 17 is finally generally available, along with iPadOS 17 and watchOS 10. This update includes many new features, including improvements to iMessage, FaceTime, and NameDrop. These also bring many new features to Shortcuts. And Apple just published a detailed document highlighting all the new features of the Shortcuts app.
New Shortcuts app actions available in iOS 17
Apple describes the Shortcuts app as “an easy way to complete one or more tasks using an app.” Users have endless possibilities to create automation using native iOS functionality or integration with third-party apps.
iOS 17, watchOS 10, and macOS Sonoma (coming next week) will give users even more features (from Matthew Cassinelli). For example, you can now create shortcuts to convert audio files to text, delete alarms, scan documents, and create Time Machine backups.
Here is a list of new commands available in the update:
- Transcribe Audio generates text from audio files
- Deleting an alarm deletes the specified alarm from the clock.
- Editing a sleep alarm will skip the next sleep alarm or reactivate a skipped sleep alarm
- “Open Camera” opens the camera app in a specific capture mode, such as “Selfie.”
- “Open Collection” takes you to a specific section of the Photos app, such as “Places.”
- “Show Password” goes to “Passwords” in Settings on iOS and System Preferences on macOS.
- “End Workout” completes the current workout session on iOS and watchOS.
- Scan Document captures images and saves them to the Files app on iOS.
- Get current timer, pause timer, resume timer, and cancel timer are now supported on iOS.
- iOS now supports Start Stopwatch, Wrap Stopwatch, Stop Stopwatch, and Reset Stopwatch.
- Set Hotspot Password and Get Hotspot Password are now supported on iOS
- Switching your cellular plan, setting your default line, setting data roaming, finding your cellular plan, and resetting your cellular data statistics is now supported on iOS.
- Start Time Machine Backup starts or stops backing up your data using Time Machine on macOS.
- Moving windows, resizing windows, finding windows, finding displays, and finding apps are now supported on macOS.
With the latest software update, Apple has also improved some of the features already present in the Shortcuts app. like:
- Set Timer can now start a new timer even if there is already a running timer
- Find Alarms now replaces Get All Alarms to get all alarms or only alarms that match the filter criteria.
- You can now adjust media volume or ringtone volume in Volume Settings
- Health samples now support more data types, including changes in sleep, mood, and appetite.
- Calendar event participants now include a Type attribute to distinguish between people, groups, and rooms.
- “Get Network Details” now includes more options, such as channel number, hardware MAC address, and rate information.
- Improved reliability of “Take Photo” when taking multiple photos in succession.
To learn more about what’s new in the Shortcuts app this year, check out the article Apple published on its official website.
FTC: We use automated affiliate links that generate income. more.